

So....Wes and I are on a plight to be healthier....you know, eat our fruits and veggies....get out and exercise....drink water instead of sweet tea....*that is a hard one for me...I LOVE me some good old southern sweet tea with lime....mmmm*
Me? Of course my ultimate goal is not just to be healthy, but to lose some inches from my ever growing waistline....and to be healthy....and to not feel so tired all the time....and to sleep better....you know, Expend energy to gain energy....*does NOT make logical sense in my mind but I know it is the truth*
I have been meeting a friend at Lake Tomahawk and walking the past few weeks after work....which is good....but really, walking around the lake 6 times isn’t really....*kicking my butt*....and I need a good tail whooping to really get myself to going from flab to fab! :-)
SO, Sunday, Wes and I (and Roxy) took our mountain bikes to the Black Mountain Rec park to ride a bit....now, it isn’t strenuous by ANY means, however it was good just to get out and do something physical....and with biking, unlike walking or running, I don’t get board and want to quit 10 min into it....I am just NOT a runner....I have tried to be...and will continue to try....but I would prefer being on a bike.....I am just too ADD to run....
Yesterday, I was seriously motivated to get out on my bike again...I had so much fun on Sunday....and wanted to do it again.....this time, Wes and I decided to go do some “real” mountain biking.....in Montreat.....I have only ever been once before in Montreat with Wes.... the first time he ever took me biking....I remember it being a “hike” up, but once we hit the top, the biking was very VERY pleasant....
He did give me a choice of going on that trail again, or doing something a bit easier....I honestly thought I remembered that the hike up was hard, but not terrible....so I chose to do the toll road hike/bike again AKA, the harder ride....I was thinking, “It isn’t so bad....I can do this”....After all, I really wanted a good butt whooping....
And I was about to get just what I asked for.....
Let me stop here and interject that one very unfortunate struggle of my life since I was a young girl is that I have exercise/allergy induced asthma....seriously; it makes endurance for me in outdoor exercises REALLy difficult at times...and it is unfortunate because I love doing outdoor activities such as mountain biking.....I do have a doctor prescribed inhaler...and it helps....sometimes....Just imagine trying to suck wind through a coffee stirrer straw....that is what it feels like for me to breathe when I have an attack.....
But I honestly have never let it hold me back...and actually, the more in shape you are, the easier breathing becomes when you have this type of asthma....it is just the getting in shape part that is always a hurdle for me....because it seriously hurts my lungs to do so.
Anyway, we started up toll road mountain....now, when I say mountain, I mean MOUNTAIN....straight up, covered in loose gravel....ok, more like loose mini-boulders....and it is straight up for about a mile (*Wes would say maybe ½ mile total...but I disagree...I have tried to find the distance on a map today to prove myself but I cannot...but I will find it.*) ....no plateau, or leveling out....just winding back and forth, UP the mountain....
And of course, I thought about taking my inhaler but failed to put it in the backpack....so when my asthma kicked up....I was out of luck! I was WHEEZY....which made me very WHINY very FAST....it hurt....my lungs ached....and I just couldn’t catch my breath....
I knew that I couldn’t get mad at Wes because I chose to do this trail....but I had forgotten how hard it was....and I was DYING about ¼ of a mile into the hike....at one point I wanted to just yell ,”CUSS!@#*$^#*&^!!!”
Wes gave me the “out” every time we stopped....but I angrily said, “NO, let’s just keep going”....who was I mad at? I mean, I was MAD...Mad and crazy....like I had just popped a billion crazy pills....I was mad because Wes was hardly breathing hard....barely sweating....and being so nice to me.... It is funny to think about now....I really wasn’t mad at him....but angry with myself....for being so out of shape....and he was just the unfortunate soul that was having to see me at my worst.....ahh, marriage.
Me? Of course my ultimate goal is not just to be healthy, but to lose some inches from my ever growing waistline....and to be healthy....and to not feel so tired all the time....and to sleep better....you know, Expend energy to gain energy....*does NOT make logical sense in my mind but I know it is the truth*
I have been meeting a friend at Lake Tomahawk and walking the past few weeks after work....which is good....but really, walking around the lake 6 times isn’t really....*kicking my butt*....and I need a good tail whooping to really get myself to going from flab to fab! :-)
SO, Sunday, Wes and I (and Roxy) took our mountain bikes to the Black Mountain Rec park to ride a bit....now, it isn’t strenuous by ANY means, however it was good just to get out and do something physical....and with biking, unlike walking or running, I don’t get board and want to quit 10 min into it....I am just NOT a runner....I have tried to be...and will continue to try....but I would prefer being on a bike.....I am just too ADD to run....
Yesterday, I was seriously motivated to get out on my bike again...I had so much fun on Sunday....and wanted to do it again.....this time, Wes and I decided to go do some “real” mountain biking.....in Montreat.....I have only ever been once before in Montreat with Wes.... the first time he ever took me biking....I remember it being a “hike” up, but once we hit the top, the biking was very VERY pleasant....
He did give me a choice of going on that trail again, or doing something a bit easier....I honestly thought I remembered that the hike up was hard, but not terrible....so I chose to do the toll road hike/bike again AKA, the harder ride....I was thinking, “It isn’t so bad....I can do this”....After all, I really wanted a good butt whooping....
And I was about to get just what I asked for.....
Let me stop here and interject that one very unfortunate struggle of my life since I was a young girl is that I have exercise/allergy induced asthma....seriously; it makes endurance for me in outdoor exercises REALLy difficult at times...and it is unfortunate because I love doing outdoor activities such as mountain biking.....I do have a doctor prescribed inhaler...and it helps....sometimes....Just imagine trying to suck wind through a coffee stirrer straw....that is what it feels like for me to breathe when I have an attack.....
But I honestly have never let it hold me back...and actually, the more in shape you are, the easier breathing becomes when you have this type of asthma....it is just the getting in shape part that is always a hurdle for me....because it seriously hurts my lungs to do so.
Anyway, we started up toll road mountain....now, when I say mountain, I mean MOUNTAIN....straight up, covered in loose gravel....ok, more like loose mini-boulders....and it is straight up for about a mile (*Wes would say maybe ½ mile total...but I disagree...I have tried to find the distance on a map today to prove myself but I cannot...but I will find it.*) ....no plateau, or leveling out....just winding back and forth, UP the mountain....
And of course, I thought about taking my inhaler but failed to put it in the backpack....so when my asthma kicked up....I was out of luck! I was WHEEZY....which made me very WHINY very FAST....it hurt....my lungs ached....and I just couldn’t catch my breath....
I knew that I couldn’t get mad at Wes because I chose to do this trail....but I had forgotten how hard it was....and I was DYING about ¼ of a mile into the hike....at one point I wanted to just yell ,”CUSS!@#*$^#*&^!!!”
Wes gave me the “out” every time we stopped....but I angrily said, “NO, let’s just keep going”....who was I mad at? I mean, I was MAD...Mad and crazy....like I had just popped a billion crazy pills....I was mad because Wes was hardly breathing hard....barely sweating....and being so nice to me.... It is funny to think about now....I really wasn’t mad at him....but angry with myself....for being so out of shape....and he was just the unfortunate soul that was having to see me at my worst.....ahh, marriage.
*The ultimate beauty in it is that he still loves me after witnessing that*
Yet, despite my little *uh um* episode, Wes continued to be SO patient with me....gentle....but firm....pushing me to go farther because he knew I could...but always giving me a choice to turn around....he always has been so good with me when I get myself into situations like that....
Yet, despite my little *uh um* episode, Wes continued to be SO patient with me....gentle....but firm....pushing me to go farther because he knew I could...but always giving me a choice to turn around....he always has been so good with me when I get myself into situations like that....
*kind of a picture of how our Heavenly Father is with us....there is a sermon to be preached in all of this; just read between the lines...*
I seriously think it took a full 45 min to get to the trail....because I was going so slow....and when we reached the top, I wanted to fall on the ground and kiss it....in fact, I think I did....well, I fell to the ground anyways....in EXHAUSTION!
But reaching the top was such TOTAL feeling of elation! And just like that, after my breathing subsided a bit, I remembered it was because of that push, the terrible strain of getting up to the top, and the feeling of actually being able to achieve that goal...well, that was why I chose to do that trail in the first place....maybe I didn’t fully realize how hard it was going to be....but I am SO glad I didn’t remember...or I wouldn’t have pushed myself to choose it....
I seriously think it took a full 45 min to get to the trail....because I was going so slow....and when we reached the top, I wanted to fall on the ground and kiss it....in fact, I think I did....well, I fell to the ground anyways....in EXHAUSTION!
But reaching the top was such TOTAL feeling of elation! And just like that, after my breathing subsided a bit, I remembered it was because of that push, the terrible strain of getting up to the top, and the feeling of actually being able to achieve that goal...well, that was why I chose to do that trail in the first place....maybe I didn’t fully realize how hard it was going to be....but I am SO glad I didn’t remember...or I wouldn’t have pushed myself to choose it....
*Again, another sermon in that...*
After about 10 min of rest time and me ALMOST puking....*seriously, I laid down on the ground sure I was about to puke my guts up...I realized at this point I had only had a salad and fruit all day to eat....not smart....will NOT do next time...* ...and Wes giving me yet another gentle “out” or “turn around and go back” chance...I managed to somehow find the strength to dig down deep, pick myself and my bike up, fasten my helmet and get on the bike....
Now, I still consider myself a novice mountain biker....but I am learning....and Wes is teaching me how to make riding easier on myself....I am learning how to use my gazillion gears....and once I bit through the pain yesterday, I actually ended up REALLY having a lot of fun....we went and went and rode and rode....Roxy was off the leash and was leading us on the trail most of the time....I made sure to stop and look around me every once in awhile....it was a BEAUTIFUL evening....crystal clear....sunny....blue skies....there was a deep quietness to the woods that just was so peaceful.....I kept hearing the Lord saying, “Don’t miss this....slow down and look around”....sure enough, HE was everywhere...*I know, HE was with me on the hard part too, HE was just easier to see on the “fun” part.*
*uh sermon....*
After about 10 min of rest time and me ALMOST puking....*seriously, I laid down on the ground sure I was about to puke my guts up...I realized at this point I had only had a salad and fruit all day to eat....not smart....will NOT do next time...* ...and Wes giving me yet another gentle “out” or “turn around and go back” chance...I managed to somehow find the strength to dig down deep, pick myself and my bike up, fasten my helmet and get on the bike....
Now, I still consider myself a novice mountain biker....but I am learning....and Wes is teaching me how to make riding easier on myself....I am learning how to use my gazillion gears....and once I bit through the pain yesterday, I actually ended up REALLY having a lot of fun....we went and went and rode and rode....Roxy was off the leash and was leading us on the trail most of the time....I made sure to stop and look around me every once in awhile....it was a BEAUTIFUL evening....crystal clear....sunny....blue skies....there was a deep quietness to the woods that just was so peaceful.....I kept hearing the Lord saying, “Don’t miss this....slow down and look around”....sure enough, HE was everywhere...*I know, HE was with me on the hard part too, HE was just easier to see on the “fun” part.*
*uh sermon....*
Wes and I were riding and talking....he was teaching me as we went....we were both enjoying ourselves immensely....My legs were tired, but not terrible...I was pretty focused on staying on the trail of least demise....Wes on the other hand, is an AMAZING mountain biker with a lot of stamina and skill....and I am not just saying that because he is my husband.... he is pretty dang skilled...he sells himself short most of the time....I am ALWAYS wowed by his ability to ride.....He was leading me popping wheelies and jumping rocks....riding up and down the side of the mountain....we were at two complete OPPOSITE ends of the spectrum skill wise, but we were just enjoying being together.....
And were it not for my slowing bruising backside, I could have gone a lot further....but I was afraid that my butt would not make it back....I failed to wear padded shorts which I am learning are SO necessary....I ALMOST made Wes trade me shorts in the middle of the woods because I was hurting so bad....The spirit was willing, but my flesh was becoming OH SO WEAK.....Dang that bike seat!
So we turned around and headed back....yes, back down the treacherous incline that we had hiked up....I gave Wes permission to just let himself go....he FLIES down the mountain....and loves doing it....and I had slowed him down enough....
I was simply determined to just stay on my bike and ride down, not walk it....but I knew it would take me awhile....I think by the time I reached the bottom I was probably sending smoke signals to the natives because I had been riding my brakes so hard.....but I am PROUD, very PROUD to say that I did it...I stayed on....it wasn’t pretty riding....but I did it none the less....only almost fell off a few times.... :-)
I woke up this morning feeling SO good....even with a very sore tailbone and some tired and sore legs....I felt like I accomplished something and proved to myself that I could push myself hard...really hard.....And as I sit here and write this...I am thinking about asking Wes to go out again tomorrow night....that is, if my butt will allow me to do so.... :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment