Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Asheville HEAT WAVE....and my MELTDOWN....






SO, it has been HOT HOT HOT in Asheville....I guess I shouldn’t complain because our heat has been milder than most places around the southeast....HOWEVER, our house is without air conditioning and let’s just say that it can make for some interesting living conditions....I get a bit cranky when I am sitting at home at night and sweating....
And I realized the other day that it is only June....

This past weekend, when the temp hit 90, my cranky meter went a bit off the charts....We went to Wal-Mart in the middle of the day to try and get a bit of relief and to find some Father’s Day cards....*Now that is desperation; note to self: DO NOT wait until the day before Fathers Day to find a card at Wal-Mart....It was an all out elbow shoving game just to get down the isle..*.... (I hate Wal-Mart; it is how I imagine “hell” to be....sorry....but just speaking the truth of my heart)

I have had every fan and attic fan running in the house and it has not seemed to do anything more than move the hot air around....Nights have been uncomfortable.... sleeping in sweat is not a fun thing.... After cooking dinner last night and doing one load of laundry I went and had to take a bath because sweat was just pouring off of my head....a cold bath.

I have been bugging Wes since LAST summer to get a window unit air conditioner however the problem with our house is that the windows go side to side instead of up and down....So we would have to remove an entire window to get a unit in....but I am getting close to removing the window with a bat and boarding it up redneck style....just for a bit of relief. *Lets me just stop here and say that somehow, it doesn’t seem to bother Wes as much as it does me....or at least he says that....but I can tell on his cranky meter that he is hot too*

Wes has been a bit under the weather the past few weeks....nasty summer cold that has turned into a nasty sinus infection...which I think stems from a moisture/mold allergy....and because we have had so much rain and with the heat and me creating a giant wind tunnel, who knows what I have been blowing around inside....So I raise my hand and admit fault in making him sick?
We run a dehumidifier...and that helps...BUT it also blows HOT air....so it is a lose lose situation....and I feel so stuck...
.
Sorry for the whine....But I have had to really check my attitude about this lately....because I know that we are SO blessed....Wes and I are working on going to Nicaragua in August where hot is just how you live....and this heat here doesn’t hold a candle to their heat....so maybe God just has me in “hot living” boot camp to prepare me...

Anyways, I welcome any ideas....or thoughts....or just simple tough love.... (Like *suck it up heather, you are being a wimp*) But help.....I am melting....

4 comments:

Jennie Jay said...

BIG box fan, few clothes, wet cloths. We lived in a single wide in South Ga with no ac for 5 years. It was HOT. I remember how cold I would be in the morning after sleeping on the floor in front of the big box fan all night. The floor is cooler than the bed for some reason. Cold showers, cold drinks, cold food, even just washing your hands and feet in cold water seems to help - it takes down the heat swelling. Get some protein powder and have milkshakes for supper - cold. Hope Wes gets better soon, he is probably too miserable with the head thing to care if it's hot. If you didn't work in ac it wouldn't feel so bad when you get home. Maybe that is the answer. I know, not funny. We think of ya'll often. Come see us when you can. Love,Jennie

Heather said...

Jennie!
It is so good to get a post from you! Wes and I talk about your family and think of you often...OUr small group cooks every week together and I usually bring some kind of deer meat and they love it...(city folk don't know how to eat properly so I am trying to educate them!)

Thanks for the advice...Actually our "heatwave" was short lived and by the time I wrote that , it is getting into the 60's at night and the temp is much COOLER....so I am not so "melty" and whiney...

And your right, working in air all day doesn't help my body at night...so maybe I should just not work!! :-) HA! I was looking for a GREAT solution and that seems to be the best!!

We do want to get down there to see you all again...I am DETERMINED to get myself a deer this year...:-)

Thanks for your wonderful advice...
Hope you are well...
Heather

Kelly Benware said...

My word have I been missing out!!! I checked your blog often while you hand was broke, waiting and waiting... and when you started to write again, I was oblivious! Love your photography. Found yourself a side job I think!

Steve said...

A great side of you I don't get to see not being in conversation every day! What a great sense of humor and transparency in every one of your blogs...and both of you photographers, too! I hope the heat is short-lived for you. We seem to have corraled it down here...during VBS week and I'm in charge of outdoor games for preschoolers! My contribution to the solution: Go buy a block of ice and a low cut plastic tub that will hold the melting ice water and put it behind the fan. Treat yourselves to it at bedtime and like Jenny said sleep on the floor near the fan!!! Love you. Steve