Monday, June 30, 2008

"Mama said they'll be days like this..."



So I started to not even begin blogging about this but I just need to vent…

The month of June for Wes and I has been a bit of a “struggle”…it feels as if we have been taking sucker punches to the gut for the entire month and we are both about to go down for a TKO.

Where do I start?

Well, my last blog was about all the sickness…which is still lingering... And so on top of that we have also had a bit of car repair thrown into the mix…ok, a BIG bit of car repair…Luckily, Wes has been able to fix most of it himself, but it has still been quite costly AND time consuming AND has drug out over the last three weeks…it is running again…it should be…after all the new parts it has…

The biggest thing both Wes and I were looking forward to with him switching jobs was the ability to have weekends together. Since he has started his job, every weekend has been spent either repairing something, me working or sick…pretty much the entire month of June. So our lofty thoughts of weekends spent camping and enjoying each others company have not yet panned out…yet…we are hopefully going to get there…soon…

My June as an event coordinator has been…hmm, how do I put this nicely…very difficult…I have had some REALLY tough groups…toughest of my career thus far…pushed and challenged me farther and harder than I have ever before…probably why I have ended up so sick…some of them have been the cause of a lot of stress…
And in the mix, I have ended up having to work a few weekends at the Cove…Including This past weekend ... (about three times a year all the full time staff have to work a full event as the “on Duty Manager”….I have had two in a month) It isn’t terribly bad, and I normally actually enjoy it…but the timing of my service has not been great…

This weekend I worked a marriage retreat …which, now that I am married, I wanted nothing more than to have my husband there with me…but, alas, he was at home, having to fix the jeep…and trying to get better…which both of us agreed was the better of the options right now so we could “get back to life”…

As frustrated as we both have been, I woke up yesterday excited, ready to just be home and to spend some time with my husband. I called before leaving to let him know I was on my way home… However, when he answered, a much dishearted voice proceeded to tell me he woke up to an overflowed toilet and he had the bathroom apart. Frustration just doesn’t even describe it.

Needless to say, I got home and we made our way to Home Depot to pick out a new toilet… which honestly, wasn’t exactly what I wanted to do after working all weekend…but, on the flip side, at least I was with him…

I have felt more sorry for him than me lately…he is the one that has to take his time and fix everything. I feel a bit helpless in all of it. I do my best to be there if he needs me to hand him a tool or bring him water….but I can’t do the work…he has to…and he is just worn out…starting and learning a new job is difficult in and of itself…not to mention having to come home every night and fix everything…

Anyways, I took a few pictures of our toilet repair…trying to lighten the mood as he was setting the new toilet. I did get a smile...and we are VERY glad to have a working, flushing toilet! So, when it was all over, and I was getting the bathroom back in order, I went to hang up a towel and wouldn’t it be just my luck, the towel rack came off the wall.
So back downstairs Wes went to get the drill to fix something else. *geeze, does this ever end?* The rest of the evening was spent just trying to relax in the few short hours we had to rest….


We both woke up this morning tired again from another hard weekend and once again running full speed ahead into another week…I know he is exhausted; I sure am…

But wait, it doesn’t end there…I went to the kitchen to fix us coffee this morning and when I went to open the fridge to get the creamer, I ended up holding the fridge door handle in my hand yet not opening the fridge…yep, the handle broke…I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry…I chose the first…but Wes did not laugh…without many words, we just kind of sucked it up and proceeded to the table to eat our cheerios, drink our coffee, and talk about going fishing on the 4th of July…

What am I saying in all of this?? Oh, I don’t know…I don’t want to sound like I am whining but I am tired of it… really tired…and I know it is part of it…and just life in general…but at some point, I am praying for something to give…but not break…

So, Lord willing, pending nothing else breaking, pray with me that we are over this hump and able to put June behind us and move forward…finally… and that this weekend, the fish are biting good …

1 comment:

Janelle Flint said...

OH my sweet friend. Thanks for sharing. It's not whining, it's just "venting". I am sorry that you are experiencing some troubles right now but never fear for John 16:33 says (AMP) "I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]" Nathan and I are praying for you. If you EVER need a break, want to get out of the house or don't want to be alone the kids and I would LOVE a visit. Keep smiling, because your smile brightens the day of people like me. I miss you!