





You never quite realize how tired you really are until you go away on vacation.
And you know you needed a vacation when upon return to work you hear people say, “WOW, you look so much better”! (*yeah, I know I was looking pretty bad*)
I am convinced that you can never truly rest from your life until you are away from it. For at least a week. Forget “staycations”....I mean really. It is just a fact of life that rest will never be 100% found while you are at your own house. And you really don’t grasp that until you are away from your house for a full week.
We needed a vacation. For the last few years we have needed a vacation. We have taken long weekends here or there, but man o man, did we need a full week away.
Refreshed does not even describe how I really feel.
Sure there were 10 people under one roof....sure we were busy and things got noisy.
But we were away. Away from our houses. Away from our lives. No agendas.
Living a week in a place that has no cars. Just golf carts.
One little grocery store. A few shops. A few restaurants.
There just wasn’t the ‘busy-ness’ of life following us. Our cell phones and computers were left at our house as we went out and about each day. No need for them. Just each other.
And......Lots of empty beaches. Lots of swimming. Lots of fishing. Lots of watching sunsets. The hardest decision I made all week were what seashells to bring back and what ones to leave lay.
I think we both have realized how much we were made for island living. We love the water. The sand. The pace.....it is just different. It truly is our ‘happy place’
I will admit that in the beginning Wes and I kind of barked a bit about how much this vacation was going to cost. And sure, we probably ended up spending more than we planned on. BUT, I would eat rice and beans every meal for the sacrifice of another week away at Bald head Island. We changed our minds about the money spent very quickly when we realized we were investing in ourselves. We felt the benefits of our investment almost immediately upon setting foot on the island.
Our minds and our bodies are our greatest assets.
Why in the world would we not invest money back into our own sanity?
A concept we finally understood this week.
It was a bit ironic too that it just so happened that this past week was the worst for both Wes and I to be gone at our jobs. We questioned the timing of this trip. But you know what we realized?
Or jobs made it without us for a week. And everyone survived. Even during the busiest times. There will never be a ‘good’ time to go. You just have to suck it up and do it. And we did it. And we didn’t look back.
I feel as if I am finally refreshed.
The bags under my eyes have been replaced with a dewy glow from all the hours of sun I got.
Such great memories were made.
Such great rest for our bodies our minds and our souls were had.
Lord willing, Bald Head Island will be on our radar every year.
My encouragement and challenge to you? Find your ‘happy place’ and go ahead, take a vacation there....just try it. It will be money well spent. You will not regret it.
No comments:
Post a Comment