Friday, May 20, 2011

"Calgon...take me away"


So I am beginning the final countdown to our vacation. 8 days....

Yes, a MUCH NEEDED vacation.

My whole family somehow managed to arrange ALL our work schedules to take a WEEK-long vacation to Bald Head Island NC.

Our original goal was to use this time as a celebration of Brad’s graduation from high school. And that is still the reason why we did this in the first place...to spend some time together as a family before he goes off to college. (*sniff sniff*)

BUT, as life has happened for each member of my family over the past few months battling sickness and new jobs and stress and chaos...ect. This Vacation has become more of a “lifesaver” for ALL OF US than originally planned. We all need an ‘escape’ from our crazy fast paced worlds for just a moment and be together....and play.

I have definitely checked out mentally the last week or so. I have been so busy at work that by the time I get home, I have nothing left to give to Wes....or anyone else. I am moody....I am irritable.... I am forgetful...
I am showing all the ‘classic’ symptoms of “I-need-a-break-itis”.

For example: I went to the grocery store the other night and couldn’t remember what I was there to get. So I ended up getting absolutely everything I didn’t need and came home to realize we were still out of toilet paper....oh yeah. Oops!

That just ain’t right.

And the beauty of where we are going is that there is absolutley nothing to do. We ferry over to the island where is it golf cart access only. No cars. No outlet malls or crazy loud beach board walks. Just us, a really cool house, the ocean, some fighing poles....and some laughter.

It is just what I need....I need some quiet....Time to sit my backside in a beach chair, with the sand beneath my toes, the wind in my hair, and the sun on my pasty white legs...and look out at the ocean and do....nothing. Think nothing. Plan nothing...just nothing.
Sip my glass of tea and just exhale.
Ahhhh.

I may need counseling for the depression and let down I will feel when I get back after looking forward to this time for such a long time, but for now....8 more days, 8 more days, 8more days.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

No comments: