Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Observations from the gym...

Ok, it has been 13 days in a row for me at the gym so far...21 days forms a “habit”...I am on my way. One of the reasons why I like the gym and why I seem to be more motivated to go is the people.... I tend to be observant. More so than the average Joe...and I like the constant interaction with things...ie. Simply put: distractions for my ADD’ness... it just works for me.

I realize through blogging about this that I am the cause for some of you having insecurities about going to the gym. I watch you while I work out. And blog about you. Sorry. But, to my defense, not all the observations are about other people. Some are about the things in the gym. And some about myself.

Thus, I would like to share with you some “observations” I have seen over these last 13 days.

(1.)There are generally two types of gym goers: those that come to work out...really hard...because they need to....(*my hand is raised)
And those that come to sort of work...yet still manage to look really good... Somehow they seem to be able to stay in shape through some kind of weird osmosis of breathing in the air at the gym. (*would really like to know how they do it)
Example: I watched a lady on Sunday work out about 3 min on the elliptical, 3 min on the bike, 5 min on the treadmill...and she was done. She spent the rest of the time talking. She broke no sweat. And she had a hot body. HOW DO YOU DO THAT? Meanwhile, I am killing myself for 40 min on the elliptical increasing the resistance every few min...Spent an additional 20 min lifting weights...And walk out feeling fatter than when I went in. Just...not....fair.

(2.)Little old ladies working out in skorts and jeans are funny to me

(3.)Little old men kicking my tail on the weight machines are even funnier

(4.)People do NOT follow directions when it comes to wiping down the sweaty machines after each use. Really bothers me.

(5.)iPods make it seem like your workout experience is a musical and you are the only one there. But read this carefully: you are not. People can hear you sing and watch you dance to the beat that only you are hearing. Unless you want to be watched by people like me, you best keep your groove to yourself. :-)

(6.)5:30am is really stinking early to be at the gym. And surprisingly, I am NOT the first one there.

(7.)Sometimes, the first 5 min of my workouts are spent holding onto the bar on the treadmill for dear life...cause I am still not awake...and I fear flying off at 3mph and making a fool of myself.

(8.)Reading the news on the TV’s closed caption style is quite entertaining. It is like watching a really boring foreign film. The mouths on the news reporter are always faster than the words at the bottom.

(9.)Watching the FOOD network while working out makes me work out harder....and feel slightly nauseous.

(10.)The goggles that the men wear for playing racquetball make them look like flies.

(11.)It is really SAD when the 80 year old women in the pool lane next to you beats you up and down every time. She doesn’t even know I am racing her.

(12.)I don’t like seeing naked people in the locker room first thing in the morning. It is disturbing. Thus I have learned to avoid it.

(13.)To the Person working at the front desk: please don’t talk to me when I walk in. I am not awake yet. AND, upon exiting: I have NO idea what you are saying to me. Can’t you see I have headphones in?

(14.)I would like to applaud those that I see every day in there with me working hard...I do not know your name...In fact, I don’t know a thing about you...But I know that you are there for the same reasons I am. And for that, I count you a valuable member of my team. You push me to keep going. If you can do it everyday...so can I.

(15.)And lastly....one should be expelled from the gym immediately if one forgets deodorant and proceeds to work out....your killing the rest of us.

No comments: