Friday, July 09, 2010

Peace

I have a little “daily calendar” thing on a file cabinet in my office.
Admittingly, I don’t “turn” it like I should as it is generally out of sight, out of mind for me most days. Just due to location alone.

But today I walked in with some heaviness on my heart and was just searching for something from the Lord. Something to lift this weightiness. Do you ever do that? I mean, I know He is near. I prayed the whole way to work. But I just needed something. Something else. Craving something to still me.

So of all things, I pull the flippy calendar marked December 30 off my file cabinet and begin to read.
(*told you I am not good at flipping it*)
And this is what I read:

“I leave you peace; my peace I give you. I do not give it to you as the world does. So don’t let your heart be troubled or afraid.” John 14:27

*it went on to say*

If only you knew that I came to help and not condemn. If only you knew that tomorrow will be better than today. If only you knew the gift I have brought: eternal life. If only you knew I want you safely home...What wistful words to come from the lips of God...If only we knew to trust. Trust that God is in our corner. Trust that God wants what is best.

It was like fresh water to my parched and uneasy soul. I love His word. I love the simplicity, matter of factness, the way it can cut straight to the point. I love that He can speak through a flippy calendar marked December 30th when it is July 9th. I love that He loves me no matter what. That He forgives me. That He chooses to cast my sins into the farthest sea and forgets. I needed that reminder today.

We are simply human. But we have a God who is simply divine. Remember that and be free.

1 comment:

Janelle Flint said...

He answers our prayers even when we don't know what to or how to pray. I am encouraged my friend. I am continuing to lift you up to Him!!!