Ok, well, it was an "eventful" Sat morning for us.....to say the least.
I am giving you two accounts of this lovely story as I think it will provide some humor in how we both respond and react in COMPLETELY different ways under....trauma...
*CAUTION- there are pictures on Wes's account below...It wouldn't do the blog justice without pics...*
I had had a wonderful night of sleep Friday night and was up and moving in my pajamas ready to start my Sat morning cleaning routine...(which I hadn't done in about three weeks) I had a checklist of things I HAD to get done as I am leaving to go on a business trip tomorrow and will be out of town all week...only to return to go camping at the beach for the weekend....Needless to say, MUCH needed to get done on Sat for my week to be....smooth.
I was on my way to the coffee pot for my second cup of Joe when I heard the door open downstairs and saw my wonderful husband walking up the stairs. When I turned around and looked into his eyes, I could tell something was up.
I noticed he was cupping his hand around a very Blood filled wash cloth...
My response (in a very panic stricken tone) : "OH MY GOSH!! WHAT DID YOU DO?"
His response (cool as a cucumber): "Do you know where the super glue is? I had a little accident..."
Upon inspection of the gaping gash in his hand, (and almost passing out at the sight of the pulsing blood), I instantly said, "NO way buddy...You need stitches....Let me get some clothes on...I am taking you to urgent care"...
He didn't really fight me too bad on it as I think he realized the severity of the cut.
We hopped in the car and I pulled out of the driveway "like a bat out of hell" (sorry, but I did) and flew down the road....
Halfway down the road my loving and bleeding husband calmly says to me, "Will you stop hitting the bumps on the road please...I can't get a good picture...and it hurts"
*as he was taking pictures on his phone to show off his lovely war wound of the morning...sorry for those of you that got gruesome texts that morning*
Let me just say, that was BY FAR, the LONGEST drive to the Urgent Care EVER....
I have to think he was in a bit of shock as the entire drive there I was badgering him every 5 min asking him, "Does it hurt?, does it hurt? , does it hurt? I am so sorry, Does it hurt?"
*I think at this point he wanted to reach over and slap me with his good hand and tell me to politely shut up as I was annoying the @$*(&#&*^ out of him*
BUT, let me interject that I have been told, one of my spiritual gifts is that of mercy...so when stuff happens to people around me that I love...I get really emotional and tend to take on feeling their pain...the result? Much compassion...It really did hurt me to see him hurting....
By the time we reached the urgent care though, I could tell the shock was wearing off and I noticed him grimicing in pain. I kept telling him he didn't have to be so "tough"...he sawed his hand pretty deep and it was OK to admit that it hurt....
Praise GOD we got there right as they opened....I proceeded to fill out the zillion forms and because it was a bloody flesh wound, they did their best to get us in pretty quick....After they called him back, I started calming down a bit ...He was in good hands now...(*or at least I didn't have to see what was about to happen to him next for them to fix it...*)
I had been waiting about 20 min in the waiting room when Wes texted me and told me to go somewhere because it "would be awhile"....he would call when he was done...
The Urgent Care was in a shopping center complex that had a K-Mart right next door...So I decided to take his advice and go walk around....After all, a little retail therapy was just the right medicine for the trauma I was going through too....
But after having SEVERAL things in my hands, I couldn't stand the thought of getting something new while he was in the building next door getting stitches...just felt guilty.
So I returned to wait on my husband...
Three hours at urgent care, 9 shots, and 5 (really bad) stitches later...we were walking out the door. We stopped to grab some lunch on the way home as neither of us had eaten anything that morning...The numbing shots were wearing off and I could tell he was hurting...
As we were about home my loving husband made the comment in hopes to redeem my morning at bit, "See, I got you out of all that cleaning!"...
"ha ha, I said...not so fast...Now YOU get to clean while I am gone.....ONE HANDED!"
*Yeah, gift of mercy was long gone. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment