

So our newest “hobby” of sorts that Wes and I are about to embark on is the world of backyard chickens. Not for the meat...but for the eggs. And just a few chickens...like 2 or 3....just enough to supply Wes and I with some healthy organic eggs.Wes has built our ladies a chicken coop that should be on and episode of “MTV Cribs-Chicken edition”. Seriously, it is amazing....
Because our “lab mix” doggie (that never grew) has turned into a small, indoor dog, all it took was a bit of ‘remodeling’ on her outside dog house and dog lot, and “TA DA!” instant chicken coop complete with privacy walls for nesting, perches, proper insulation and ventilation, a roof with shingles, a large area to scratch around in with high high walls to keep the varmets out....My girls will be living in style.
I would like to share with you a few of the *clearing throat* comments we...or should I say I....have been getting when telling the general public about our new plight of “Chickentopia”.
“So...you know you can buy eggs at the store?”
“Ugg, Chickens? WHY?”
“Seriously?, YOU? Chickens? At YOUR house? Um...How?”
“You know they smell right?...and poop?” (that has been one of my favorites)
“You know they may get eaten if you don’t protect them correctly?”
“You really want them waking you up in the morning with their cockle doodle doo?”
(Um, HENS....NOT ROOSTERS)
“Why do you want the chickens? Just for pets? Aren’t they ugly?”
Ok,....so I know that I work in an office job that requires me to wear heels, makeup and dress clothes every day, sell jewelry on the side, Love going shopping downtown, enjoy Starbucks, drive a PT Cruiser, get monthly highlights and haircuts at a trendy spa....but underneath all that....girlyness... There is an ‘inner organic redneck farm girl’ just crying to be let out. So hunting, fishing, mountain biking, and now...chickens....are just an expression of my inner ‘other chick’.
*ha! No pun intended!*
SO, while all of you skeptics out there think that I don’t know what I am doing, just keep on asking me the stupid questions....and watch me. The world of Google is an amazing thing. I have been reading. And researching. Sure I may do a few things wrong or unnecessarily at first, but I learn best by trying. And try I will.
I took pictures of the chicken coop construction we did on Sunday and hope to post those soon....But for now, their home is ready....
We have built it....
Now all we need are a few unsuspecting hens to be put in my ignorant care...and hopefully the result? Eggs.....
No comments:
Post a Comment