Thursday, February 03, 2011

D&C

Thank you to everyone who was sending a prayer up my way this morning. I could feel them.

We had to be at the hospital at 5:30am...seems to be an ungodly time to do anything but I was happy to be there. SO ready for today.

I have never had anything more than my wisdom teeth out in my life so when I was ushered into the pre-op room and asked to put all my hospital garb on, I started feeling a little weird. Never been the one in the bed before.

But again, let me just say that I had a unexplainable peace.
Well, until the nurse came in with the IV bag. Even though I have never had surgery before, I did know that I have horrible veins. And I warned her. (I don't think she believed me at first)....but, I was right.

First she dug in one arm...once....then, took it out and she tried to hit it again. (yeah,ow)
Then with impeccable timing, the lab came up and needed blood (of course)...so after three holes in my first arm all they got was 2ccs of blood.

The nurse then moved me around and tried for the second arm. This time, digging around, doesn't even really describe it appropriately. At one point I thought she was trying to shove a straw in my arm....but nothing. I was beginning to feel like a human pin cushion.

After no success, and lots of apologies, I was finally taken up to pre-op upstairs. They were going to have to call in the "special" IV team. Seems lately I have been on the "special" situation side of things. Lets just say I am really tired of being "special". Ready to be in the majority.

Anyways, The "special" IV lady finally got a weak vein in the top of my hand...which is super sore as I type this...she had to dig around to find that one too....but I must say that I almost kissed her when she finally hit it.

After that I talked to a zillion nurses, my doctor, and the anesthesiologists that would be with me. Lets just say that I felt like everyone knew my name and the reason why I was there as that were the first two questions I was asked by everyone.

All I remember after that point was being wheeled into a brand new operating room, some really cold stuff going in my arm, moving to a different bed, my eyes getting really heavy, seeing the giant orb lights overhead....and......nap. A great nap.

I woke up 30 min later to a few people calling my name....and upon finally being able to pry my eyes open I realized what just happened...and then the tears came.

I was so ready for today that I didn't think that would happen. But the realization when I woke up of it finally being over came flooding in and tears were just the natural response. The nurses loved on me as I had my moment.

I had no side effects (praise God) from any of it so I was only there for about 20 or 30 min before I was ready to be wheeled up to a discharge room where I could finally see Wes.
I was so glad when he walked in. He should get an award. He has been amazing and I love him more than I ever knew I could.

After about an hour up there we were finally discharged at 10:30 with all our papers and meds....
Leaving the hospital and getting home felt so good.
We both had a sandwich and passed out on the couch....where we have been sleeping most of the day.

Why did I tell you about my morning? You would think I wouldn't want to re-live it....
I don't know other than writing feels good. Getting it out. Telling my story. Just aids in my recovery.
I am so glad about physically being on this side of this nightmare.
Now I feel like I can focus on my heart. Moving past this.

We have a journey ahead of us. One that I never thought I would be experiencing but am here....for a reason....so I will use it...not to my glory...but to His.

While I don't understand God in this, I do understand that He is God. He is. So I am learning to really understand about all the sunday school, churchy cliche sayings I have know my whole life...."God is Good"...."Trust in the Lord"...."All you need if Faith in HIm"...."God has a plan"...I could go on...

Anyways, I am learning. And part of my learning is sharing. So there you have it.

And now I need to stop typing. My sprinkler looking arms are getting a bit sore.

1 comment:

marthahelen said...

you are incredible and i'm in awe. i'm privileged to know you, heather. wes won a wonderful woman!