Friday, August 27, 2010

They say that Dark Chocolate is good for you...

“Uh....come look outside!”

Those were the words I awoke to this morning.

Good thing Wes woke me up too, because apparently I had hit snooze one to many times on my phone and was already past my “I can still shower and make it” point, and to my “hair goes into a ponytail and just double up on deodorant” day. Needless to say, I was already running behind.

Of course my heart kind of skips a beat when I hear my husband say those words in the morning as I am constantly going to bed wondering if our chickens will indeed survive another night.

So I flew out of bed and looked out the window in our bedroom: chickens were perched nicely in their chicken mansion. So...nothing got into the girls pad....hmmm....

I sleepily made my way down the stairs where Roxy and Wes were both standing gazing out into the driveway.

What I saw made my chin drop. “Oh my Goodness!”
It looked like a mini tornado had picked up our trash bin, cans and all, and swirled it all over the driveway and woods. I was now the proud owner of the Black Mountain Landfill.

Seems the bears are back. And hungry.

Not only was there trash everywhere, but one of our trash cans looked like a bear had used it to stand on....jump on...sit on....play like an accordion....it was all dented in and bent up. The really heavy trash box Wes had built was completely on the other side of the driveway and on its front side.
Must have been a big bear because that thing is heavy.

The funny part is this....When Wes got home last night he mentioned that the trash men never came to get our trash this week. He would call today and find out why. BUT, in the mean time, he felt it best to bring the trash cans all the way back up to the top of the driveway and back in the bin.....so the bears wouldn’t get into the trash.

Well, that worked. We would have been better off just keeping the cans out and saving ourselves the work of having to lift that trash bin back into its place.

Here is the worst part of this story.
Normally, Wes and I barely fill up one trash can in a week. We just don’t fill up the trash cans that fast...However, due to the amount of visitors with small children we had visiting us for 11 days, both our trash cans were overflowing.....and mostly with dirty diapers. Bags of them.

Apparently it was a female bear who was craving some “chocolate”....some very dark chocolate.

Yes, you can gag now. I sure did (repeatedly) as I found myself at 7am, in my pajamas, picking up a zillion dirty diapers that were torn to shreds and strewn all over our wooded yard. Nothing like the fresh smell of week old diapers to wake you up in the morning.

Needless to say, the bears are back. So those who live in Black Mountain, watch your trash....they are storing up for the winter and on a rampage. And those with small children still in diapers...especially beware....cause they like “chocolate”.

2 comments:

Janelle Flint said...

There simply are not words. I am laughing though not AT you, but with you. I too have been picking up "chocolate" remains in my yard after the bears enjoyed that fact that my family created trash of ALL sorts. The fact that you can write about it and make us all laugh is GREAT. I am sorry for your unfortunate turn of events, but as always thanks for sharing your life. The good, the bad and the STINKY :-)

Kelly Benware said...

Nice... Love your story even better in writing, all except for your reference to dark chocolate, which I love. Now it's ruined!