Tuesday, August 24, 2010

"Ready, Ready, Ready...ready to run..."

So...yes my faithful blog readers, I am still here. I am not lying dead on the side of the road somewhere nor have I run off to a far away and exotic island to live a life of sand, sun, coconuts, and love. I am still here. Just not had much time to blog. Been REALLY REALLY busy these last few weeks.

I did take last week off of work....But it was because I had a house full of company for 11 days solid. It was great! We have a wonderful family.
But “Rest”, with a house full of company just wasn’t going to happen. I don’t think I came up for air at all last week.

Wes and I slept most of the day Sunday out of sheer exhaustion...and I woke up Monday morning with a serious ‘hosting hangover’. I don’t think I could have managed last week if I would have been working so I was glad to have the time off.

Not only were the last 11 days busy, but the week before was crammed full as well as Wes and I were “preparing” the house for the guests....putting away and straightening up. Doing all those things we had been meaning to do all summer long before everyone came but mysteriously our time slipped away and we ended up cramming it all in a few days before everyone got there...
For what it is worth, after all is said and done, although exhausted from the last two weeks, my house feels really clean and time spent with family were simply more created memories....and it was good....just felt a bit like running a marathon....and a bed and breakfast.

Needless to say, I came off of last week, craving a vacation. A BIG vacation. Like our honeymoon....vacation.

That honestly was one of the best weeks of my life. We were truly on vacation. Just the two of us. I think it was the first time in my life where a full week was spent in paradise doing what we wanted to do. We could sleep in late and go to bed late. We didn’t need watches. We just had each other to take care of. There were beaches and pools and hot tubs and the aquarium and yummy restaurants.
I remember sitting at Starbucks (as we did every afternoon), sipping a $10 Frappacino and talking about how we both felt like we were in a time warp. No one was talking at us, asking us what we wanted to do next...we just simply could be. We didn’t have to have a plan. Or an agenda. We made it up as we went. Our cell phones didn’t work so no one could reach us. We both left work behind and focused on us.
Ahh...just thinking about it makes me think relaxing thoughts.

Please don’t read this and think I am complaining. Just contemplating. Maybe, planning another trip for the future out loud. Like a week long vacation sailing on a yaught...you know, something exotic.
Of course, I would have to win the lotto first...but...I can dream anyways.

I guess for right now, as I recover from the last few weeks of the constant “push” to get things done and do things.... I will settle for coming home from work to a quiet house and on sitting on my front porch with a glass of tea listening to the sound of the wind blowing through the trees, the bears in the garbage, and the chickens cackling.

PS- no, still have no eggs. “The girls” are going on the grill soon if they don’t start putting out some eggs. They are reminded of that every day now. They have until Sept. then it will be “OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!”

No comments: