Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Think about His love....

If you KNOW me, and KNOW me well, you know that I love to sing. It is a fact. I sing in the shower, in the car, in my office, in the elevator...where ever I am, I am typically either singing or humming. I do it so much that sometimes I don’t even realize I am singing until someone points it out or says something.

I don’t tend to be overtly verbal about what is REALLY going on inside me when something is wrong, but I am very easily readable by my actions. I have told Wes way back when we were dating, that if I am NOT humming or singing, that it is a pretty good indicator that something is wrong, or that I am worried about something. The song in my heart just simply goes away and I am quiet.

I have also found that the songs that I find myself singing or humming usually have a deeper message. A point that the Lord really is trying to get through to me and wants me to think about. So one morning last week, as I was coming (or “humming”) out of the bathroom at work, it dawned on me that I needed to stop and listen, and take the words of the song to heart....“Think about His love, think about His goodness, think about His grace that’s brought us through...”

I realized that God was telling me something....nothing overtly profound....just simply what the song says: “ think about My love Heather, Think about my goodness, Think about my grace, that’s brought you through....” .....wow......

You see, recently I have fought feelings of disappointment in myself, put inside of me solely by the words of others. Through various situations at work, to switching churches, I have allowed the verbal disappointment I had been hearing get through to my head, warping my thoughts and viewing myself as a failure. I have allowed all the “chatter” from others to allow me to somehow think that God was disappointed in me too. But I was reminded once again this morning that that simply isn’t His truth. That is not who He is. Those are the thoughts put in me by human flesh, not a Holy God. And I needed the hug I got from God this morning more than a hungry baby needs milk.

Guy Penrod (of the Gaither Vocal Band) came and led our staff devotions that same morning and taught on the very subject of God’s love for us...in fact, he led us in the very song I woke up humming...*you think God is trying to tell me something?* I don’t know if anyone else was listening that morning but the truth he spoke about how God views us, was almost as if it was the voice of the Lord himself speaking those words to my heart. Engraining his love for me once again on my poor desolate and broken heart.

God is not angry with me because I made a few mistakes or have chosen to serve a body of Christ somewhere new. People around me may be. And trust me; they have done their best to let me know it. God is the only person I should be concerned about pleasing. And he loves me more than I could ever know. I just had to have it beat into my brain once again.

I ask you to help pray for me. Pray that a shield of God’s love is constantly put around my mind and my thoughts so much that I am not able to hear the disappointment of others, but more the absolute love of Christ that He he has for me. God’s love isn’t conditional it is constant, and perfect. So let me encourage you my faithful blog reader friends. Walk in this day knowing that no matter what you are going through or what you have done, if you are in Christ, God loves you. He loves you. He loves you. He loves you. He loves you. He loves you.

2 comments:

Janelle Flint said...

Oh Heather. I am crying even as I type this. How alike we are my sweet "I" friend. You are loved, by God AND by me (not as cool I know, but hey..it helps I hope). I miss you tremendously and really hope to come and see you and the new arrangment of furniture SOON.

I refuse to be jealous that you and Nathan were able to worship with Guy...disappointed YES, jealous NO (lol). Oh Heather, thank you as always for sharing openly and transparently. You blogs breathe fresh air into the staleness of people that pretend to know themselves and others. Your honesty is an encouragement. I am so blessed by you and Wes and what is the dog's name?

Thanks for your love, support and prayers as we have been grieving my Nannie's passing. I can't wait to tell you about God's goodness in that situation. I love you.

Anonymous said...

thank you Janelle...Roxy is her name!! (it just fit)
She is precious...such a sweet disposition and a really fun addition to our little family...

Praying for you sister
H