Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Gas, Gas, oh where is all the Gas?


I guess I am ignorant. I had heard talk of a gas shortage. But I didn’t really believe it. Until I needed some.

So I left this work this morning shortly after arriving thinking I would find some gas once the work crowd was all settled into their jobs. *my brains amaze me sometimes!*

Boy oh boy....was I ever wrong!!!

I admit, I had about a quarter of a tank, and I really thought for sure I had everyone fooled....but I drove and drove and drove and drove...and my tank started getting emptier and emptier and emptier... As the needle was stretching to touch the “E”, I started to feel the stress creep up from the pit of my stomach to the back of my neck. Where was all the gas?

It was about that very time that a voice came from my radio saying, “Do not worry about tomorrow, for today has enough troubles of its own...” I almost laughed out loud. So I turned up my radio and proceeded to listen to a preacher teach on ‘worry’. How fitting. I love it when God does that.

In that instant I was reminded of how and who I needed to go to to find gas. So I began to pray. I simply asked God for provision. For wisdom to know when to turn around and just go back to work so I could at least make it home at the end of the day. As I was driving back through town I saw a line. So I got off the interstate and found myself in the midst of an hour wait.

As I waited, I looked at the many frustrated faces of those in line and continued to pray...I prayed my way all the way up to the pump. Of course, once I finally made it, I was directed to an empty pump that was on the opposite side of where my tank was. So a very nice employee of the station helped me to back my car up to the pump so it would reach. He even started the gas for me. I got out with a smile and thanked the man for helping me. Needless to say, there were many around me that weren’t so polite. From frustration to anger to greediness, I saw it all in the course of my wait.

I have been challenged a lot lately in morning devotions or sermons about being the salt and light of the earth. To love unwaveringly. Even if life is unfair. Or the situation is unjust. All God asks us to do is to love and show love...And in that obedience, God’s provision will flourish. And today, I am convinced of it.

The man came over to me as I was continuing to pump my $40 limit of liquid gold into my tank, and with his hand blocking the side of his mouth, as if he was telling me a secret, he told me to go ahead and fill up because he didn’t know of another shipment coming for at least a week. Just like that, God provided even more than I asked for.


Two hours after my pursuit began I made it back to work. With a very full tank. But an even fuller heart. My God provided...and I know, no matter what the circumstance, He will continue to do so.

No comments: