Thursday, August 28, 2008

Billy Graham and Bears...








Last week was our yearly “staff picnic” at Grandfather Mountain. I had never been since I have worked at The Cove. My friend Kelly and I decided we would attend together since neither of our spouses could go. It was a very fun filled day and Kelly and I had a wonderful time bonding! I truly enjoyed myself and savored every moment.

I think our favorite part of Grandfather Mountain was watching the bears. There was “stick your tongue out bear”, “bed head bear”, and “grab his foot bear”...I think you can tell who is who in the pictures... :-) What a trip! Each of them had their special trick to perform for the crowd who would then throw special bear treats their direction. I think I really knew Kelly would be a life long friend when I realized that she found these guys as amusing as I did!! I believe we were there watching them for a good 30 min. Such a great display of God’s creativity.

I wasn’t really a great fan of the “swinging bridge”...about halfway over Kelly had to gently remind me from behind to remove my hand from one side of the bridge so people coming the other direction could walk by...I have to admit, it was well worth the wobbly windy walk across the bridge! What a view...it was a bit overcast that day so we couldn’t quite see as far as most days however, it was beautiful still!

I was beginning to realize that choosing to not eat lunch that day was not the best of choices. I was so hungry; I probably could have eaten a bear! Glad we saw them before I got that hungry or they would have been in serious trouble!
We hopped a bus and headed back down the mountain to the HUGE circus tents that were set up for our bar-b-que dinner. We got there about 10 min before they prayed to bless the food...praise God. I ate cow AND pig AND chicken that night...as well as all the fixing’s...Kelly and I realized that day that we both share a “passion” for food! I am sure we will have many more moments “breaking bread” together.

Billy Graham did come and he said a little something to everyone there. It is always a joy to see and hear Dr. Graham. What an honor to be part of this ministry. You know, I quickly lose perspective sometimes of the ‘bigger picture’ of this ministry...it is always good to go and be reminded.

We stayed just until after they gave away all the door prizes...and lucky me, won a $25 gift card to Wally World! That burned a hole in our pockets and Wes and I quickly went and got a bunch of random things with the giftcard... but let me just say, while I am gratful for the gift, $25 sure doesn't go far anymore!!




I hope you enjoy these pics!


1 comment:

Kelly Benware said...

You're bear pictures were a ton more funny and I sure look forward to more "bread breaking" moments with you!