OK...back to the cooking thing. I have REALLY been enjoying being in the kitchen lately...watching the food network....reading Rachel Ray and Cooking Light Magazines....creating my own....which....
If you remember, in my last blog about meal preparation, I eluded to the thing about "Heather Surprise" and my special meal creations...some of which turn out great and some, well, not so wonderful...I have only had a few that were barely edible, one recently, but we won't talk about that now...
Monday night I made a black bean and corn filling mixture for Quesadillas...(low budget and very tasty) As always, when cooking for just 2 people, it made A LOT more than I needed.
So as we were eating dinner that night, Wes asked me nervously, " UH, So, what are you going to do with the leftovers?".
And I replied grinning and nonchalantly, "Oh, I don't know, but you WILL see this again sometime this week!".
I think that is what he was scared of. No, I KNOW that is what he was thinking. :-)
So in an attempt to not have to suffer through another surprise dinner, he began to throw out his own ideas of what I could use the mixture for and this recipe came out...I made it last night and it was WONDERFUL!!! So Wonderful in fact, I decided to share it with you. Wes defiantly has some culinary skills. Now, I added to it more than what he originally stated, but for the most part, he needs to get all the credit for this one!!
Here we go....I call it, Wes's Mexican Surprise....(ha ha)
Ingredients:
1 package of lean ground beef
1 package of taco seasoning
1/2 onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1 can of Black Beans (drained)
1 can of chopped green chilies
1 can of corn (drained)
Juice of one fresh lime
copped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 jalapeno chopped (optional)
1 box of JIFFY cornbread
1 cup of shredded cheese
Instructions: Preheat the oven to 400. Saute the onion, garlic, meat and taco seasoning together until cooked thoroughly. Drain. In another bowl, mix together the black beans, corn, green chilies, lime juice, cilantro, Jalapeno, and salt and pepper. Prepare the batter for the JIFFY cornbread as directed on the box. In the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish layer the meat mixture with the black bean mixture. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top. Pour the Jiffy cornbread batter on the top of the cheese and bake for 30 min. (or until the cornbread is cooked)
Serve and enjoy!
(**I thought after dinner last night that you could also put shredded lettuce, salsa, and sour cream on top for added kick!)
No comments:
Post a Comment