It is so easy to get into a life “rut”. Work for the weekend. Take Sat’s to clean the house, do the laundry, yard work, grocery shop, and try viciously hard to do the other millions of things that you haven’t been able to accomplish throughout the week. Then we wake up, and go to church on Sunday. ..Maybe rest a little in the afternoon before the daunting thought of “Monday coming” pops into your head and ruins the rest of the evening. A RUT…
Wes and I are working really hard at NOT getting into a rut. And not a lot of people have seen us like they used to before we got married because of that…We haven’t really been in any routine at all….We just decided that life is too short for ruts. And there is too much life to live and too much of creation to enjoy and we want to enjoy it together.
***Our weekend went a little something like this:
I woke up Sat and made my very first batch of homemade waffles before Wes had to go to work…Sat morning breakfasts are becoming a tradition in the Waldorf house! Wes had to go to work so I began my Sat morning “chores”. Brad was with me all day so while he caught up on sports center I caught up on a bit of cleaning and laundry…
In an effort to get in shape, I had Wes put the bikes on the back of the jeep before he left so Brad and I could go down to the rec park and ride a bit. I almost didn’t go because It looked as if it were going to rain, and the laundry wasn’t done (blah blah blah-there is always a reason to talk yourself out of something) But I finally made myself stop working and go play. A little rain would not melt me and the laundry would be there when I got back… And it was a GREAT decision! After about an hour on the trails, we ended up biking into Black Mountain to visit Wes for a bit before grabbing a milkshake at the local coffee joint and riding back to the car…we had a blast.
When Wes got home we took the top off the jeep and drove the long way to Fairview and went to Brad’s baseball games for the evening…the games were a blowout but we ate hot dogs and spent most of the evening trying to figure out who the scouts were in the stands. (They were suppose to be there that night looking at Brad and one other boy on the team) Wes and I even followed one man to his car...I mean, we were "going to get a jacket" and we wanted to see his where his license plate was from...(ha ha, we are so wierd...but it was SO FUN!)
The next day we drove to Lake Lure in the jeep with the top off to visit my friend Heather and the kids where they are vacationing for the week. We attended a very cheesy but entertaining Memorial Day festival in the grand city of Lake Lure. (Well ok, not quite a “city” but a small tourist trap for bikers, rednecks, and a few locals) We played, found some REALLY interesting old fashioned southern crafts (like transvestite looking gourds with feathers glued on them and belly button dusters...just a few of the interesting artifacts discovered) and ate cotton candy, funnel cakes, and snow cones….
I do have to have you picture this though…The funniest sight of the day for most of you reading was probably the sight of Wes and I with two car seats in the back of the jeep filled with a 4 year old and 3 year old that wanted to ride with the top off as well. H and ya ya (the nanny) were following behind in the mini van laughing because they had it so quite! So for those of you already asking us the “when are you going to have a baby” questions, we are thoroughly enjoying the use of our friends kids for periods of time…because after we have gotten our fill of the cuteness and funniness, we are able to give them back and go on our merry way… It is really quite fun. So, until our friends stop having kids, maybe then we will consider it…but for right now, it is nice just being AUNT Heather and UNCLE Wes. Sorry to burst your bubbles.
Well, back to it….Tired and a bit sunburnt, we drove back to a cookout at Brian and Danielle’s with the families where we sat around the table eating hamburgers and laughing until the sun went down.
Wes and I and Brian and Danielle decided to go camping in their backyard that night, so after a trip to Wal-Mart at 11pm to get Brian and Danielle a tent, we went back and set up tents and air mattresses in the dark, roasted a few hot dogs to make it an official camp out and crashed.
We got up the next morning and went to Cracker Barrel where we decided over our biscuits to be even more spontaneous and break in our fishing poles. It was a BEAUTIFUL day and we weren’t about to waste it…. So we headed to Wal-Mart once again to obtain our fishing licenses from a little old lady named Lillian who had worked for Wal-Mart for over 15 years and typed about the speed of turtle on Benedryl. She gets points for sweetness though.
After packing everything but the kitchen sink (Unfortunately, that is my fault….I am the ‘you NEVER know when you will need____’ type of person), we headed off to Brevard to spend 3 hours knee (sometimes waist) deep in the river catching fish after fish. They were literally jumping in front of us! Danielle and I were on a roll with our PINK fishing poles and corn, but the boys inevitably went downstream and hit the mother load. Between all of us, we caught enough “keepers” to come back and have a WONDERFUL meal!
I got home last night COMPLETELY worn out and smelling quite interesting but feeling so….FULL. Wes and I were talking about how all weekend we could have done and accomplished so much stuff….saved money on gas….stayed home…worked….slept….been practical….But we would have missed out on so much life. So many memories. So much laughter and fun. Too many times we ‘over think’ our wild plans and whims in an effort to ‘be mature and responsible’ individuals.
I challenge each of you reading this to do something that doesn’t make sense this week. Throw your plans out the window and spend time making memories with your loved ones. You won’t regret a minute of it. It may actually change the way you live the rest of your days. And remember; when you are trying to come up with the billions of reasons why you shouldn’t, think about the billions of reasons why you shouldn’t….and just do it.
1 comment:
Heather oh the wisdom that you share. thank you! The wisdom that God has given to you and Wes, and the insight that you share with others through this blog is refreshing. God has such big things in store for the Waldorf family. It just makes my heart smile to know you both.
Post a Comment