Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Finding my new identity

I woke up early this morning trying my best to be the first one at the Social Security office so I can finally begin finalizing my new "identity" as Mrs. Waldorf. I was about an hour early. Someone told me it opened at 8, but alas, it was 9. So after I went and mailed a few bills and went to the bank, I decided just to go back and sit and wait.

I am glad I did...I was amazed at how many people were right there with me, anxiously waiting to get their identity corrected as well. I had to push a few "international people" out of the way to get to be third in line, but hey, I had to get to work!

Anyways, as I was sitting I was thinking of H and her family. The funeral was pretty amazing; to say the least. We sat and worshiped for about an hour. We laughed and cried and rememberd and mourned. She was a dear woman who touched many lives. I would say there was over 400 people there, some sitting, some standing...It was overwhelming. I am glad I went. Glad I could be there to just love on the family. To cry with those who cry. My heart still cries with them.

And will for a long time.
Anyways, as I was thinking about H's mom's funeral, my new life, my name that is two weeks in transistion on a little card that will finally make it official enough to change the rest of the needed documents like drivers license, bills, bank accounts...I was struck by the thought that I am one in a trillion something people who are issued this "number" that claims their identity. Literally, I cannot do anything until that little number with the correct name is in my hands. The bank was quick to tell me that I needed my license right away so I can appropriatly access MY money...great! Don't you love that!

But here is the little "nugget" God gave me this morning... in light of eternity, I am not a number. I am a precious child of God's. He knows my name. He knows my identity. He knows the number of hairs of my head. He doesn't need "official documentation" proving who I am in His kingdom so I can have official "rights" to it. The day I accepted him as my Savior, was the day my identity for eternity was secure. Just like he knew when Cheryl came home. He was there to greet her. He knows the loss the family feels. He knows that they miss her. He knows that heaven got sweeter that day as H said to me. And as simple and unprofound as that sounds, it is powerful. My God knows me. No little number of piece of paper necessary.

Just something to ponder.

1 comment:

Janelle Flint said...

Well said. Thanks for the encouragement.