Friday, June 11, 2010

First Wild Party at the Hen House



Well, it happened. I have had the chickens just over a week and woke up this morning to a frightful scene inside the coop.

We have a good view of the chicken coop from our bedroom window where I check on them upon waking up each morning.

Judging from the mess inside the coop I could only imagine that (A.) either someone replaced the water in the girls waterers with some beer and they had a WILD party last night or (B.) something had truly gotten in.

At 6:45am, in my pajamas and flip flops I made the trek outside to inspect.

Sure enough, our wonderfully reinforced (or so we thought) chicken wire roof had been pried apart in one area at the top. It looked like someone took a can opener to the top. Seriously? *I was MAD*

My first thought was that it was the crows that were shrieking their “CAAWWWSSS” overhead. They are BAD this year and got into the coop once to get the food... (Before we covered it with chicken wire)
But as I looked at the scene, I could only deduct that a raccoon could be the possible vandalizer. I don’t think Crows are that smart to pry apart chicken wire like that.

Thankfully, the Girls were fine. And that was all I cared about. I was told that the Danish Brown Leghorn is a ‘very active’ bird and good at defending themselves when it comes to predators. In ‘simple terms’, what I have discovered that to mean is: They are chickens with severe ADHD and because of that, they just can run faster. They are a hoot to watch! “Active bird” is an understatement. Especially when I am in there with them.

Anyways, I trekked to Home Depot at lunch to get some additional chicken meshing to double re-enforce the top tonight. I have to say I am glad it is happening now, before the eggs start coming and the coons eat my eggs. Then they will REALLY see the wrath of Heather.
Just working out the kinks...that’s all.

And, Wes loaded the gun on the front porch for me....where I will be waiting to kill me a raccoon if necessary this evening.

Just wait girls...on the menu tomorrow, “Coon Stew”... Isn’t revenge sweet?

1 comment:

Steve said...

You go girl! Just take aim the same way you did that deer and you won't have to worry about chicken in the pot! Beware the wrath of Heather! Wish I could have seen it.