Tuesday, December 23, 2008

When you have to work the week of Christmas because you have no vacation time left...this is what happens


Twas the night before Christmas; The Office Version.
Written by: Heather Waldorf

Twas the night before Christmas and all through the office,
Not a phone has been ringing, nothing on the TO DO list.

The stockings are worn by the women with care,
In hopes that tomorrow our legs will be bare!

The bosses are off and we are left to work,
While the parties we planned make us smile with a smirk.

I in my boredom and twiddling thumbs in my lap,
Feel like crawling under my desk for a long winter’s nap.

When out in the kitchen there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my desk to see what was the matter.

Away to the kitchen I flew like a flash,
Tore off my shoes, as I made a mad dash.

When what to my salivating mouth should appear,
But a smorgasbord of goodies, even edible reindeer!

I paged all the ladies, and one man that was here
For another afternoon party, minus the beer.

More rapid than eagles the people they came
Our stomachs’ and waistlines will never be the same.

We ate cheese ball and beef stick and cookies and fruitcake
Chocolate and gumdrops washed down with a milkshake.

The breads and cakes from little and small,
It dashed away dashed away dashed away ALL!

The best part of working Christmas Eve you see,
Is the random assortment of leftover goodies, don’t you agree?

The laughter and joking abound more than ever
The witty little rhymes and forwards, HOW CLEVER!

And then in a heartbeat, the sugar starts working,
The high makes us merry our bodies start flailing and jerking!

For Christmas is coming, and vacation almost here
Our inbox is empty, our desks are all clear.

And finally after we think time has stood still
The clock clicks 5 and we’ve had our fill!

The lights are all dimming, the computers turned off
Not a noise can be heard not even a cough.

The building is empty and work is complete,
Just the pitter patter of exiting employee feet.

As we get in our cars we wish each other well
So excited to be leaving, Michelle nearly fell!

And I heard them exclaim as they quickly drove out of sight,
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL, and TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT!

2 comments:

Betty Anne said...

Picturing and living it with you! I hope you had a merry Christmas, Heather!

Kelly Benware said...

Too great; I missed Michelle almost falling. So sad I leave before the feast of goodies too. Miss you!